Nature Travel: Is it better to go solo or as a Group?

Nature Travel Solo or in a Group
Group of eco-travelers in the high Andes of Peru.
As someone who has been traveling for many years, I've experienced both solo travel and group travel; and the pros and cons associated to each travel style.  I have also guided group tours ranging from 2 to 12 people in the most diverse conditions and have experienced the group dynamics.  This note is intended to help you decide whether you would want to go solo or join an organized group tour.  

I believe the travel style is a personal choice. Each person has needs and wants influenced by life experiences, believes, age, gender, and economic and marital status.  I will not re-invent the wheel here by going through the classic comparisons of pros and cons of each style, instead I provide responses from experienced travelers asked about their preferred travel style as follows: 

When I travel to explore a place, I like to go alone, as it allows me to connect with people (locals and other travelers) in a way that wouldn't happen if I was with friends or a group. 

It’s much easier to make plans (or not make plans) when you’re by yourself.

Nothing like being away with other like-minded people in an exotic location, discussing what we see, sharing laughs, enjoying meals and morel. But even on these trips, I like to take a day for myself and explore a bit solo.

Traveling solo gives you flexibility. I believe that is when we meet our reason, season or lifetime friends. I recommend solo travel to meet new amazing people and experience and see places and things that aren't planned.

I would hate to travel solo. Group travel offers so many advantages; conversation
sharing experiences, sharing memories, friendship and camaraderie, laughing with someone, eating with someone. God, I could go on and on. Traveling alone is great for if you are looking for some solitude for a day or so. Anything longer and you should be prepping for group travel.

Group travel is tourism, not authentic travel. 

I’ve had many amazing memories on my travels, many of which was when I was in a group, however my most precious memories have always come from me being alone on the road with nothing but me and my camera!

It really depends on what sort of group you’re with. I've been on many trips, and I've always found it much better to go with a small group. In my twenties I traveled solo around India, but I had lots of time, and very little money. I don’t think I would do it again!

I dislike waiting for people who are late. I also like to do things when I want to do, so if I had planned to do something on a particular day and want to change it at the last minute just because I feel like it, I can and it’s not a big deal, there’s no negotiations, no drama.

solo travel
Solo traveler socializing with a Quechua man in Cuzco, Peru.
If you are with a group, you still have the option to take time away from the group. There’s no rule that says you can’t break from the group and go do your own thing for a few hours or even a whole day…it’s your trip. It was nice to re-join the group and swap stories.

I always traveled independently when younger, now more often group.  Group travel is more relaxing, easy, just pay and get on, no daily thought/planning required, see a lot of sights in a short time. 

If you’re trying to fit a lot of vacation time into a little time it’s way easier navigating trains and buses, finding your hotels, and getting to know the site and local culture if you have a tour leader helping you. And I’m pretty certain it’s cheaper than most people would manage on their own. 

Why do I have the feeling there isn't one right answer here?

No surprise, people are different, and what a good thing that is! I've had this discussion with friends and industry experts and concluded that there is no “one size fits all” answer.  There are people who like to travel alone and others who enjoy travel in groups, and some in the middle. Individual’s personality and circumstances have something to do as well. If you’re the type that generally get along with people, solo travel is pretty easy.  However, more often circumstances may make the decision for you. If you don’t want to travel alone, but have nobody to go with, there are options available to allow you still to go as part of a group. One can also travel solo and then join group tours at the destination when one’s feel like it.

Ecotourism and Nature Travel may be a little different

I believe organized tours are not as bad as hard core solo travelers make it out to be. Some places and journeys require organized trips; this is the only way to visit and experience a place. You can’t just show up at Mt. Kilimanjaro, the Serengeti, Manu National Park in Peru, or the Galapagos Islands. These places are designed to be done in tour groups. Doing it on your own is often more expensive, more inconvenient, and sometimes illegal. In fact, most advocates of solo travel take tours without even realizing it. You’ll find them on hill tribe treks in Asia, or on the Inca Trail in Peru.

Nature Travel as a group
Small Group of Travelers Visiting Machu Picchu.
There are some organizations that specialize in eco-tourism or independent tours – tourism that not only leaves a small environmental footprint, but also supports local businesses and operators. Many of the companies design their tours so you aren’t shuttled around, but are allowed to wander and spend time getting to know each location.  Most simply take the hassle out of the booking process. 

At the end, it is really up to you to pick and choose what you want!

When group travel is the only option available (this is true for much of the nature travel), do your homework.  Before booking a group tour with a company, make sure to look into the style of the organization and the trip itself. Check to see what kinds of accommodations you'll be staying in, and whether tour guides are local, friendly, informative, which will enhance your travel experience. Check the itinerary to ensure you'll get to do the types of activities you enjoy. If you like to see wildlife and learning about the culture, what ways does the tour ensure this will happen? As long as you do some research, and you're the type of person who doesn't mind having each day planned out, then a group tour can be a very enjoyable experience.

Comments

Popular Posts